Author Topic: Out of sync and also sluggish design proformance  (Read 5227 times)

Offline Xmaslover08

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Out of sync and also sluggish design proformance
« on: November 06, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »
I just downloaded the trial version and love the program and concept, however I am concerned about a few issues that I am having, and would like to fix them if possible before I buy. 

1: While the program is running it is using constantly at LEAST 80% of my processor.  I read just about every page of the forum and saw the one where this is somewhat normal, but am curious if this is the cause of my next problems...

2:  After starting a new project and adding just a few lights, the more lights I add, the slower the response is for adding more, moving, resizing and right clicking.  Ex. I'll start by adding icicles to the roof peaks.  They go up quick and easy, but when I move to the next object, lets say a window border, it starts getting sluggish when I click to start and end the strand, taking several seconds after the click for the anchor or strand to appear.  Also, if I need to right click to delete something, it takes a long time for the menu to pop up.  When trying to move an object, it gets really bad.  The object moves at least 3-5 seconds behind the cursor making it extremely difficult to position items.  All of those symptoms get progressively worse with the more lights displayed.

3:  When playing a sequence in LOR, HLD is out of sync.  It’s not just out of sync, but also "misses" random blinks.  It’s basically to the point where when viewing in HLD you cant even tell it’s suppose to be in sequence to the song.  I even tried just adding only 1 channel to my project and still the same problem.  I put the LOR animation window and HLD widow side by side while playing and you can see the big difference.

Like I mentioned earlier, I read most of the posts here to try to figure the problem out myself, but nothing has worked.  Here is everything I have done so far:

Sync issue:  Turned off Control Lights and Vary Color of Channel Buttons in the LOR Play menu.  Zoomed out both the channels and time frame in LOR.  Narrowed HLD display to 1 channel of a few strands of lights. - Nothing worked to fix sync.

Sluggish issue: Used the decoration wizard to import all lights to the project so there would be a less "lights" count. Didn't import a yard image. - Still sluggish

Also forgot to mention that the program itself takes about a minute to a minute and a half to load, and same exact issues on work computer.

My system specs are as follows:
Work Comp: XP SP3, 2.7GHz, 760MB RAM
Home Comp: XP SP2 ~3GHz, ~1GB Ram (aprox cause im on work comp while writing this)

Offline Holidaysoft

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Out of sync and also sluggish design proformance
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 08:24:15 AM »
We are working on performance improvements but it will take some time.
Michael-

Offline SmokinL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Out of sync and also sluggish design proformance
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »
XmasLover08 ... FYI ... if you are doing any type of dynamic graphics (similar to 3D gaming), you should have a minimum of 2GB of memory.  (Windows XP has a max limitation at 3GB ... I have 4GB installed on this machine, however only 3 are recognized when using XP ... all 4 are used with Vista.)  Additionally, adding more Video memory to your video card will also clear up much of what you are experiencing ... especially as this application is graphics intensive.

Because you have less than 2GB of memory, your processor is working really hard on managing and caching information to the Hard Disk in the swap (virtual memory) file.  This activity impacts performance of any system.

I'd recommend increasing your physical memory.  Even with your work computer ... you'll find that you will be able to do your other activities better as well, and is a good alternative to having to completely upgrade to a newer system (although, what a great excuse to get your work to issue you a new machine, right?)

Best wishes this Christmas season!

Lane
Network Engineer & Technologies Consultant