Author Topic: Using HLD on a Mac :)  (Read 5678 times)

Offline MINIboyink

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Using HLD on a Mac :)
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:49:10 PM »
If you are fellow Mac user and are using HLD in a virtual  machine I have some tips, tricks and workarounds for you.

First off lets start with what works and what doesn't.

Parallels 3.0:
HLD will run but will have some display issues. For example if you try to design a mega tree you can not see the lines. All you will get is a solid filled in tree similar to when it is highlighted.  Additionally, do not try to use the decoration wizard! It will crash if you have lots of objects. There are no workarounds for these issues with Parallels.  Both issues are a result of problems with DirectX. This is not a HLD bug.

VMware Fusion:
Runs a bit slower then Parallels but is very stable. Fusion is a better product if you are willing to give up a "little bit" of speed for stability. WIth that being said there are two versions 1.1.3 and 2.0 (beta). Here are are issues I came across.

1.1.3 does not support DirectX with shader objects (i.e. Mega Trees). Everything else works great.

2.0 (bata) does support DirectX 9 with shaders! To enable this mode go to settings > Display > Accelerated 3D graphics. Mega tree line will display with no problems. But Decoration Wizard does not do a screen capture correctly. It seams to ignore the object and captures the dialog box hidden behind the view window.

This is the only issue I have had. The workaround is to temporally  turn off the Accelerated 3D graphics capture what you need and turn it back on. Remember once you turn it off your Mega tress will not display correctly until you turn Accelerated 3D graphics back on.

I filed a case with VMware and they have acknowledge that it is an issues with the beta and should be fixed before final release.

Bootcamp:
Flawless! Absolutely no issues. In fact Bootcamp runs the application faster then any PC with the same specs.

All three methods have no issue with receiving communication from LOR II.

One last thing is make sure you give the VM 1GB to work with. 512MB works but you will get better performance from the 1GB.

Hope this helps.  ;D
-Brad 

Offline Holidaysoft

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Using HLD on a Mac :)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
Keep in mind that we do not officially suppor HLD running on MAC.  With that said, I'm rather excited you got it working. I'm rather surprised it runs at all on a MAC especially the LOR communication. Also I'm impressed you were able to get the mega tree lines to display (ala get directx working).  Thanks for putting it throught the paces.  We do get this question a alot so now we can at least point people to your postings if people want to try setting it up on a MAC. The first computer I ever used was a MAC in 1990.  It was mind blowing!
Michael-