Hi Dan, I had this problem once as well. A couple of things to check. Also, I'll give you my step by step for setting things up.
1. I start LOR sequnce editor, and load my seq. After double checking to ensure everything is correct on Channels in my seq. I then go to TOOLS..select Chanel property grid...then print that. I also play the seq. once in the LOR editor to see if it plays OK.
2.Under PLAY, verify Control Holiday Lights Designer is checked. Not Control Lights at this time. Ok, you're pretty much set with the LOR seq. editor for now.
3. Next I change my screen resolution to 1024 X 768. I have found this helps with running HLD and LOR at the same time. Most likely, when MIchael releases the update to HLD, this probably won't be necessary. But you'll find scrolling and everything else is somewhat smoother at this resolution.
4. Start HLD. Now use your printout from the channel grid. Go through you're HLD programming of
lights. VERY IMPORTANT: make sure you have assigned your lights to a CHANNEL not a CONTROLLER. I did this one night, only one area of lights blinked...till I figured out my mistake.
5. If you have all your channels matched up to your channel grid you printed, you should be able to click each channel on HLD, and see that section blink for you. That will let you know you have your channels set up correctly. Also, the Channel grid printout will show if your channels are sssigned to LOR controllers. Very important for LOR/HLD to communicate.
6. In HLD, make sure you save your HLD file. I use the same name as my LOR seq. to keep things in order. Ok, if your lights are blinking with the channel click, you are all set in HLD.
7. I know close both HLD and LOR seq. Editor. Depending on your system, it doesn't hurt to reboot as well.
8. In 1024 x768 resolution, re-start LOR Seq. Editor. Load your appropriate sequence. Then make sure you still have control HLD in the PLAY menu. Your all set with LOR now....go
ahead and minimize the program.
9. Start HLD. Load your Project file you saved earlier. Now click click on the LOR bulb. A Connect window should then open for you. Click the connect button. I use the default port 3738. It should show connected at the bottom of the screen, and the LOR light bulb should be flashing.
10. Now re open LOR seq. editor. Hit the Play button to start playing your seq. Quickly switch back to HLD, if all is well you'll see all your lights etc. go blank as the seq. starts.
Then you should see your lights movin and groovin to your LOR seq.
I know it's a little involved, but it's actually quite quick when you get the hang of things. Man does it look cool. My Halloween and Christmas shows looked just about the same on my house as did in HLD. I was pleased. Looking forward to update of colors, so I can hopefully show purple and orange icicles for the Halloween show.
I hope this my help you get things rolling. Will try and help, if you need more assistance; as I'm sure others as well.
Good Luck. When it works correctly, you'll be pretty amazed to watch your shows. Not to mention, the invaluable tool you have to edit your seq. in real time as well.
PS forgive my spelling. A little tired as I write this stuff.